Privacy is a important topic for sites such as this. Many sites collect information about their users for marketing and cross-promotional purposes. Our philosophy at RentNotBuy is to retain as little information about you as possible and never divulge it to third parties unless required to by law. We are happy to permanently modify or delete any or all information about you upon request.
RentNotBuy creates accounts for users which are then stored on our systems. We do this so you are able to revisit the site and collect bookings for your items and add, edit or remove listings. However, we keep the information stored about you to a minimum. Here we describe what information we keep and how we use it:
- Your login name: This is your login name and the name used on public sections of the site. All visitors to the site will see this name.
- Your name: You can, if you wish, tell us your real name when you create an account. This is not publicly visable. However, when you make a booking to rent an item from an owner, your name and email details are sent to the owner so they know to whom he/she is renting his/her property. When an owner accepts the booking, the owner's name, email and full location of the rented property are disclosed to the renter, so that the renter can locate the item and communicate further with the owner. If the owner rejects or cancels the booking, none of the owner's information is imparted to the renter. You may change or delete the name we store for you at any time through your account page. It is generally a good idea to supply a name as it boosts confidence in the owner and renter if they know the name of the person with whom they are dealing.
- Your email: We record the email you provide when you sign on. This is so we can notify you of a bookings of your items. Your email is not publicly available. However, other registered users can send you questions through our anonymous contact user form and your email will be made available when making or accepting a booking (see description of "Your Name").
- The location of the items you are renting: This allows other users to search for rental items by location. The full location is not publicly available. However on a rental item listing we do show the City, State and Country in which the item is located, to aid users searching for local items. Once a rental booking has been agreed to by the owner, the item's fully location is disclosed to the renter. You are NOT required to give the street address or zip code of the items location, if you choose not to.
- The 'about me' box: You can, if you wish, give a short statement about yourself, including links to your homepage, pictures and general blurb. This information is then publicly available on your profile page. You may edit or remove this information at any time.
You may edit or remove any or all of the information listed above at anytime. In addition you can close your account at any time by sending us an email. Once your account is removed, all information is lost and is not recoverable. Likewise, when editing your account information, the old values are not retained.
To protect your privacy:
- We have no banner ads, pop ups, pop unders, or any other kind of commercial ads.
- We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
- We do not engage in cross-marketing or link-referral programs with third parties.
- We do not employ tracking devices for marketing purposes ("cookies", "web beacons," single-pixel gifs).
Data Collection and Archival
- All rental listings and bookings can be kept indefinitely, even after deactivation by the user. Upon deactivation, the full listing content will not be publicly viewable and the listing (and associated bookings) may be deleted after a year of being deactivated. However, listings determined to be spam by our administrators, are deleted along with all associated bookings.
- Standard web logs are keep indefinitely. These store timestamps, URLs visited and your IP address.
- Note that some search engines (e.g. google.com's cache) and archival tools can make removed postings publicly available
- We reserve the right to collect anonymous data on rental items viewed by visitors to the site, to provide lists of popular listings.
Release of Information
RentNotBuy will not release user information to any third party unless required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process. However, we reserve the right to disclose user information to law enforcement in the good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to respond to claims that any posting or other content violates the rights of third-parties; or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of RentNotBuy, its users or the general public.
Comments or Questions?
For feedback please, see contact us page